What: Open auditions for Shrek the Musical, with music by Jeanine Tesori and book and lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire. Directed at Pentacle Theatre by Robert Salberg.
When: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 3.
Where: Pentacle Theatre, 324 52nd Ave. NW — off Highway 22, about 6 miles west of downtown Salem, Oregon.
- Casting seven featured actors plus ensemble actors of all abilities, genders and ethnicities for roles in this Tony Award winning and family friendly Broadway musical based on the DreamWorks Animation film Shrek and its sequels.
- For a full list of roles, genders, ages and vocal ranges, please scroll down this post.
- Pentacle Theatre affirms, promotes and celebrates the participation of all, without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion or socioeconomic status.
Things to know:
- Lobby doors open at 12:30 p.m. and open auditions for all roles begin promptly at 1 p.m. Please be on time and plan to stay through 5 p.m.
- Please arrive early to fill out an audition form. We encourage you to complete the online form at pentacletheatre.org/auditions and complete it in advance. Please write clearly, especially your contact information. You don’t need to bring a headshot or resume, but we do appreciate them.
- Bring your calendar and provide a complete list of your conflicts through March 25, 2023. If you have a conflict on the audition date, please contact the director or submit a video audition (details below).
- Please prepare a song from a Broadway musical other than Shrek the Musical that best fits and displays your vocal range and reflects the roles for which you would like to play. Limit your selection to 32 bars — about 1 minute.
- An accompanist will be available, or you may provide your own. Please bring sheet music for the accompanist.
- You may use a CD or smartphone recording for your accompaniment. A CD player and Bluetooth speaker will be available at auditions.
- Absolutely no A Cappella singing or duet/ensemble singing.
- Please dress comfortably and be ready to learn and perform a basic dance combination.
Unable to attend auditions?
- A video audition is acceptable. Please email your video audition, audition form and conflict information to Robert Salberg no later than noon Saturday Dec. 3. He will not consider late submissions.
COVID-19 protocols Nov. 14 update:
Pentacle Theatre no longer requires proof of vaccination from patrons, volunteers or staff.
Callbacks: TBA if needed.
- Generally, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays, beginning in January.
- The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed. Please keep this in mind when providing your list of conflicts.
- The director will schedule rehearsals to make the best use of everyone’s time. Cast members must attend every rehearsal once Shrek the Musical moves into the theater in February. If you have questions about rehearsals, please contact the director.
Shrek the Musical is an irreverent fractured fairytale about a big green grumpy ogre who lives a hermit’s life and hates all other fairytale creatures. But there’s trouble brewing that leads Shrek and his new not-so-best-friend Donkey to the Kingdom of Duloc, ruled by a diminutive despot, Lord Farquaad. Farquaad must marry a princess to become king and agrees to give Shrek the deed to his swamp if he rescues Princess Fiona of Far-Far Away from a castle guarded by a ferocious dragon. But in doing so, Shrek’s world changes in ways he never imagined.
The characters: Casting actors able to play the following roles:
- Shrek — male, age 25-45. Vocal range: G#4 (top)/A2 (bottom).
A big, green, terrifying ogre who lives alone in his swamp. He embarks on a journey to rid his land of fairytale creatures and along the way, falls in love with Fiona. Begins as a grumpy hermit but reveals his layers and eventually becomes the story’s hero.
- Fiona — female, age 20-35. Vocal range: G5 (top)/F3 (bottom).
The beautiful princess of Far-Far Away, she transforms into an ogre every night when the sun sets. Shrek rescues her and she eventually falls in love with him. Quirky, blunt and multi-talented, she is not an ordinary princess.
- Donkey — male, age 20-35. Vocal range: B4 (top)/C3 (bottom).
A talking donkey who joins Shrek on the run from Farquaad’s guards. Quite the chatterbox, Shrek’s looks do not deter him looks and he practically forces himself into Shrek’s good graces. Easily frightened and pushy, but also an optimist with heart.
- Lord Farquaad — male, age: 30-50. Vocal range: D5 (top)/B2 (bottom).
The comically short, ruthless ruler of Duloc. He is in search of a princess to marry so that he can become king. Has an intensely unfair bias against fairytale creatures that stems from a resentment of his father. Self-absorbed, lonely and cruel.
- Dragon — female, age 25-45. Vocal range: Eb5 (top)/F3 (bottom)
A fearsome dragon guarding Princess Fiona in her isolated castle. She falls in love with Donkey and attempts to keep him there forever. Imposing and flirtatious and tired of her job as the glorified babysitter.
- Gingy (puppet) — female age 20-40. Vocal range: C#5 (top)/B3 (bottom).
A gingerbread man kidnapped by Lord Farquaad. His wit and resolution help him both avoid trouble and inspire the rest of the fairytale creatures. An actor can operate the Gingy puppet and also play the Sugar Plum Fairy.
- Pinocchio — male, age 20-40. Vocal range: F#4 (top)/E3 (bottom).
An animated marionette whose nose grows every time he lies. The leader of the fairytale creatures with plenty of sass and a penchant for lying.
- Ensemble — all genders and ages 8-88 to play fairytale creatures, angry mobs, people of Duloc, guards, knights, rat and other characters.
Show dates: Friday, March 3 – Saturday, March 25, 2023.
- Cast members may be required to make special appearances for marketing purposes in the weeks before the show opens.
Suitability: Shrek the Musical is suitable for all ages.
Information: If you have questions or a conflict on the audition date, please contact director Robert Salberg or 971-208-2799
# # #