FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 20, 2022
Contact: Lisa Joyce, 503-971-6758 (mobile) 503-485-4300 (office)
What: Open auditions for She Kills Monsters, written by Qui Nguyen, directed by MaryKate Lindbeck.
When: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday, July 9.
Where: Pentacle Theatre, 324 52nd Ave. NW — located off Highway 22, about 6 miles west of downtown Salem, Oregon.
Casting call: Seeking an ensemble of at least 10 actors, age 18+, able to play high school age.
- Except for the core party, all actors will play multiple roles to create an ensemble of 40+ featured characters, monsters and special effects.
- All actors will perform some combination of choreographed dance, stage combat and puppetry.
- For a full list of roles, genders and ages, please scroll down this page.
Things to know: Lobby doors open at 12:30 p.m. and open auditions for all roles begin promptly at 1 p.m. Please be on time and plan to stay through 5 p.m.
- Plan to arrive early to fill out an audition form. We encourage you to download the form at org/auditions and complete it in advance. Please write clearly, especially your contact information. Headshots and resumes are not required, but always appreciated.
- Bring your calendar and provide a complete list of your conflicts through Oct. 15. If you have a conflict on the audition date, please contact the director, below.
- Auditions will consist of stage fighting, dancing, reading and some light improv. No preparation is necessary and no prior experience is required.
- Wear clothes and shoes you can comfortably move, dance and stage fight in.
Pentacle Theatre affirms, promotes and celebrates the participation of all, without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion or socioeconomic status.
During auditions and rehearsals: For your health and safety, everyone attending auditions and rehearsals must provide proof of vaccination, OR a negative COVID test result from a pharmacy or clinic taken no more than 48 hours before the audition time. Masks are welcomed and recommended at Pentacle Theatre.
During performances: All audience members, volunteers and staff must provide proof of vaccination, including a booster if you are eligible, OR a negative a negative COVID test result from a pharmacy or clinic taken no more than 48 hours before the performance time. Masks are welcomed and recommended at Pentacle Theatre. Cast members will appear without masks when performing onstage and will be tested weekly for COVID-19. Audience seating may be limited to meet current social distancing rules and guidelines.
Callbacks: July 10, if needed.
Rehearsals: Generally, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays, beginning July 11 at the Pentacle Theatre rehearsal studio, 197 Liberty St. S.E. in downtown Salem. Free parking is available on the first two floors of the Liberty Square Parkade, above the rehearsal studio.
The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed. Please keep this in mind when providing your list of conflicts.
Rehearsals will be scheduled to make the best use of everyone’s time, especially for actors in school. Only actors needed for scheduled scenes will be required at rehearsals and we’ll release actors as early as possible. As we get farther into rehearsals, we’ll need everyone there so we can run the whole show. If you have questions about rehearsals, please contact the director.
Show dates: Friday, Sept. 23 – Saturday, Oct 15. Cast members may be required to make special appearances for marketing purposes in the weeks before the show opens.
The story: Set in the 1990s, Agnes Evans discovers her late sister’s Dungeons & Dragons campaign notebook and is launched into a fantastical journey. A comic, action-packed exploration of the assumptions you can make about the people you love, and the monsters you must face inside and out.
Casting call: Casting actors age 18+ and able to play high school age characters. Most actors will play multiple characters, monsters, etc., except for Agnes, Tilly, Lilith, Kaliope and Orcus:
- Agnes Evans — An average girl with a painfully average life until tragedy strikes. Though reluctant, she learns to embrace the geeky, fantastical world her sister left behind.
- Tilly Evans / Tillius the Paladin — The geeky younger sister of Agnes. Bullied in life for her weirdness, she re-imagines herself in game as the powerful and badass Tillius the Paladin.
- Lilith / Lilly — Tilly’s crush both in life and in the game. Tilly has reimagined her as a Demon Queen who acts as the party’s muscle. In game, she’s the perfect combination of beauty and brawn. In life, she’s caring and soft spoken.
- Kaliope / Kelly — Tilly’s friend, who in real life uses crutches to cope with cerebral palsy. Tilly has reimagined her as a Dark Elf who acts as the party’s master tracker, lock picker, magic user and ass kicker.
- Orcus / Ronnie — Tilly’s friend and Kelly’s older brother. Tilly has reimagined him as the reluctant demon overlord of the underworld.
- Chuck — A role-playing game enthusiast who helps Agnes play through Tilly’s D&D campaign as the self-proclaimed “DM Biggs.” He has a wildly inflated sense of how cool he is.
- Miles / Barbarian — Agnes’ boyfriend, an average high school senior football star. He may seem disinterested, but he genuinely cares about Agnes — he just doesn’t know how to show it.
- Vera / The Beholder — Agnes’ offbeat pink BFF who works at The Gap. She wants the best for Agnes and fiercely advocates for her but tends to come off strong.
- Narrator — The mysterious cloaked figure who guides the story with a Cate Blanchett “Galadriel-esque” voice.
- Steve / Adventurer Steve — Whether it’s shopping as a customer or adventuring as the Great Mage, this unlucky guy is often used as an example to others of what violence and gore they may soon be subject to.
- Tina and Gabby / Evil Tina and Evil Gabby — Tilly’s high school cheerleader bullies, reimagined in-game as evil succubi with some epic dance moves.
- Farrah — A small forest faerie who at first glance you may underestimate, but at second glance she’s already ripped out your throat.
- Ensemble of Monsters — Wraiths, bugbears, dragons, kobolds etc. Monsters appear for fight and battle sequences throughout the show. This will be a mix of puppetry, special effects choreography, sword fighting, etc. Most actors will play multiple monsters throughout the show.
Suitability: She Kills Monsters: Young Adventurers Edition, is suitable for ages 13+.
Information: If you have questions or a conflict on the audition date, please contact director MaryKate Lindbeck, 503-779-3921 or assistant director Emma Thurston, 503-507-7747 firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #