What: Open auditions for the Italian American family comedy Over the River and Through the Woods, By Joe DiPietro. Directed by Jo Dodge.
When: 1 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 11.
Where: Pentacle Theatre, 324 52nd Ave. NW — located off Highway 22, about 6 miles west of downtown Salem, Oregon.
Casting: Actors able to play three females and three males. For a full list of roles, genders and ages, please visit pentacletheatre.org. Click on “Auditions” at the top of the page.
Things to know:
- Auditorium doors open at 12:30 p.m. and open auditions for all roles begin promptly at 1 p.m.
- Plan to arrive early to fill out an audition form. We encourage you to complete the fillable audition form download a copy at PentacleTheatre.org/auditions and complete it in advance. Please write clearly, especially your contact information. Headshots and resumes are not required, but always appreciated.
- Bring your calendar and provide a complete list of your conflicts through Feb. 26. If you have a conflict on the audition date, please contact the director, below.
- Actors will audition by reading selected scenes from the script.
- Pentacle Theatre affirms, promotes and celebrates the participation of all, without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion or socioeconomic status.
At auditions and rehearsals: For your health and safety, everyone attending auditions and rehearsals must provide proof of vaccination and must wear a mask at all times when at Pentacle Theatre.
During performances: All audience members and volunteers must provide proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before the performance and everyone must wear a mask at all times while at Pentacle Theatre. Audience seating will be limited to meet current social distancing rules and guidelines.
Cast members will not wear masks only when performing onstage and will be tested weekly for COVID-19.
Callbacks: TBA if needed.
Rehearsals: Generally, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays, beginning Dec. 6 at Pentacle Theatre, off Highway 22 about 6 miles west of downtown Salem. The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed.
Rehearsals will be scheduled to make the best use of everyone’s time, especially for actors in school. Only actors needed for scheduled scenes will be required at rehearsals, and we’ll release actors as early as possible. As we get farther into rehearsals, we’ll need everyone there so we can run the whole show. If you have questions or concerns about rehearsals, please contact the director, below.
Show dates: Friday, Feb. 4 through Saturday, Feb. 26.
Cast members may be required to make special appearances for marketing purposes in the weeks before the show opens.
The story: Nick is a single, Italian American guy from New Jersey. His parents retired and moved to Florida. That doesn’t mean his family isn’t still in Jersey. In fact, he sees both sets of his grandparents every Sunday for dinner. This is routine until he has to tell them that he’s been offered a dream job. The job he’s been waiting for — marketing executive — would take him away from his beloved, but annoying, grandparents. He tells them. The news doesn’t sit so well. Thus begins a series of schemes to keep Nick around. How could he betray his family’s love to move to Seattle, for a job, wonder his grandparents? Well, Frank, Aida, Nunzio and Emma do their level best and that includes bringing to dinner the lovely — and single — Caitlin O’Hare as bait…we won’t give the ending away here. — Dramatists Play Service.
Casting call: Six actors able to play the following roles:
- Nick Cristano — 20s-30s. A single Italian-American and up-and-coming professional.
- Aida Gianelli — 60s and up. Nick’s maternal grandmother.
- Frank Gianelli — 60s+. Nick’s maternal grandfather.
- Nunzio Cristano — 60s and up. Nick’s paternal grandfather.
- Emma Cristano — 60s and up. Nick’s paternal grandmother.
- Caitlin O’Hare — 20s-30s. A single young nurse Nick’s grandparents invite to dinner in hopes of sparking a romance that will keep Nick from moving to Seattle.
Suitability: Over the River and Through the Woods is suitable for all audiences.
Information: If you have questions or a conflict on the audition date, please contact director Jo Dodge at 503-480-5352.