Open auditions for a modern adaptation of Oscar Wilde’s classic comedy of manners, An Ideal Husband. Adapted and directed by Emily Adela Loberg.
Online auditions via Zoom at 2 p.m. May 2. Contact the director if you have a schedule conflict.
Virtual auditions will be held online using the Zoom meeting platform and app. Contact the director for a link and password to the Zoom meeting.
Nine actors able to play various roles. Actors are encouraged to audition for any role they feel drawn to regardless of the character’s gender or age. For a full list of roles, please visit our auditions page.
Things to know:
- Open virtual auditions will be on the Zoom meeting platform and app. Please submit your audition form to the director for a Zoom link and password.
- Download an audition form.
- Email your completed audition form to the director by 8 p.m. May 1.
- Please include a complete list of your conflicts through June 20. If you have a conflict on the audition date, please contact the director.
- Please write clearly, especially your contact information. Headshots and resumes are not required, but always appreciated.
- After you submit your audition form, the director will email you a link to the script, and a link and password for the Zoom open auditions. Actors will audition by reading selected scenes from the script.
- If you cannot attend virtual auditions, you may record and submit video monologues from the script for up to three characters no later than 4 p.m. May 2. However, you must attend virtual callbacks if required. Please contact the director for a copy of audition monologues and instructions for submitting audition videos.
- Once cast, actors will attend virtual online rehearsals using the Zoom meeting platform or app.
- Pentacle Theatre affirms, promotes and celebrates the participation of all, without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion or socioeconomic status.
6:30 p.m. May 4, if needed.
May 6-June 10, using the Zoom platform and app. We will schedule rehearsals to make the best use of everyone’s time, especially for actors in school. Only actors needed for scheduled scenes will be required at rehearsals, and we’ll release actors as early as possible. As we get farther into rehearsals, we’ll need everyone there so we can run the whole show. If you have questions or concerns about virtual online rehearsals, please contact the director.
Performances of An Ideal Husband will be livestreamed via Zoom at 7:30 p.m. June 11, 12, 18 and 19, and 2 p.m. June 13 and 20, with an audience talkback after each performance.
Cast members may be required to do media interviews and make special appearances for marketing purposes before the show opens.
About the show:
An Ideal Husband, Oscar Wilde’s political comedy of manners, has been modernized and reset in present-day Washington, D.C. Roberta Chiltern has a successful political career and a happy marriage with her wife, Gertrude. However, all that is threatened when Lawrence Cheveley shows up with proof of a secret act of political corruption in Roberta’s past. If she does not promise to publicly support a fraudulent pipeline scheme that Lawrence has invested in, he will reveal her scandalous secret. Unsure what to do, Roberta turns to her friend, Arden Goring, for help and advice. Arden attempts to sort out their friends’ problems while also navigating a flirtation with Roberta’s sister, Mabel.
Nine actors able to play the following roles. Casting is flexible. We encourage actors to audition for any role they feel drawn to regardless of the character’s gender or age.
- ROBERTA CHILTERN (she/her), age 25-60. Gertrude Chiltern’s wife and the Under Secretary for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs in the U.S. Department of State. She has achieved great success as a politician at a young age and has a reputation as a highly principled, respected and trustworthy political figure. However, reality may not match the ideal.
- GERTRUDE CHILTERN (she/her), age 20-60. Roberta Chiltern’s wife and a spirited political activist. Highly moralistic and principled, she loves Roberta because she believes Roberta represents a perfect ideal of human morality. She dedicates her time to causes and charities.
- ARDEN GORING (they/them), age 20-50. A dandy who makes life into an art form, spouts witticisms and always dresses in the height of fashion. Cultivates a reputation of idleness and impropriety but is quite helpful to their friends in times of need. Enjoys saying absurd, shocking, illogical things and defying expectations. Mabel Chiltern’s love interest.
- LAWRENCE CHEVELEY (he/him), age 20-60. A former schoolmate of Gertrude Chiltern, now living abroad, who has returned for a visit and knows a scandalous secret from Roberta Chiltern’s past. Motivated by money and image, he is not above blackmail and theft to achieve his goals.
- MABEL CHILTERN (she/her), age 20-50. Roberta Chiltern’s younger sister who lives with the Chilterns. Witty, charming and amusing. Enjoys saying the opposite of what’s expected. Arden Goring’s love interest.
- COLONEL CAVERSHAM (he/him), age 40-80. Arden Goring’s father. A bit more conservative and old-fashioned, he has trouble understanding younger generations. Pressures Arden to get married and/or go into politics.
- MARKBY (she/her), age 40-80. A friend of the Chilterns and Mr. Cheveley. Generally unaware of the thoughts and feelings of the people around her, she talks a great deal about nothing in particular. From an older generation than the Chilterns, she represents more “traditional” ideals.
- MAURICE MARCHMONT (he/him), age 20-80. A guest at the Chilterns’ party. Frivolous, self-absorbed, and hypocritical.
- OLIVIA BASILDON (she/her), age 20-80. A guest at the Chilterns’ party. Frivolous, self-absorbed, and hypocritical.
An Ideal Husband is suitable for general audiences.
Please send your questions and completed audition form to director Emily Adela Loberg. Audition forms are due no later than 8 p.m. May 1. After you submit your audition form, the director will email you a link to the script and a Zoom link and password to the open auditions.
# # #