What: Open auditions for The Cake, a contemporary dramedy by Bekah Brunstetter. Directed by Jennifer Gimzewski.
When: 1 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 7.
Where: Pentacle Theatre, 324 52nd Ave. NW — located off Highway 22, about 6 miles west of downtown Salem, Oregon.
Casting: Three females and one male. For a full list of roles, genders and ages, please scroll down this page.
Things to know:
· Lobby doors open at 12:30 p.m. and open auditions for all roles begin promptly at 1 p.m.
· Plan to arrive early to fill out an audition form. We encourage you to download a copy at PentacleTheatre.org/auditions and complete it in advance. Please write clearly, especially your contact information. Headshots and resumes are not required, but always appreciated.
· Bring your calendar and provide a complete list of your conflicts through March 21. If you have a conflict on the audition date, please contact the director, below.
· Actors will audition by reading selected scenes from the script.
· Pentacle Theatre affirms, promotes and celebrates the participation of all, without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion or socioeconomic status.
Callbacks: TBA if needed.
Rehearsals: Generally, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays, beginning Dec. 9 at Pentacle Theatre’s rehearsal studio in downtown Salem. The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed.
Rehearsals will be scheduled to make the best use of everyone’s time, especially for actors in school. Only actors needed for scheduled scenes will be required at rehearsals, and we’ll release actors as early as possible. As we get farther into rehearsals, we’ll need everyone there so we can run the whole show. If you have questions or concerns about rehearsals, please contact the director, below.
Show dates: Friday, Feb. 28 to Saturday, March 21.
Cast members may be required to make special appearances for marketing purposes in the weeks before the show opens.
About the show: Della is a small-town baker in Now, North Carolina, with a big passion for cakes and the Bible. Her husband, Tim, makes all of the decisions and she’s perfectly fine with that. One day, Jen — the girl Della practically raised as her own — comes back to town and asks Della to bake a cake for her wedding. Della is delighted until she meets Jenny’s fiancée, Macy. Della’s faith and love of the Bible are challenged, and she must make one of the hardest decisions of her life. The Cake explores the characters’ beliefs of what is right and wrong and proves that people can change.
Casting call: Four actors able to play the following roles:
• Della: 45–60s, pleasant, motherly, loveable, conservative.
• Tim: 45–60s, Della’s husband. A hard working good ol’ boy.
• Jen: 20’s–30’s, she has dreamed of her wedding day her whole life.
• Macy: 20’s–30’s African American female, and Jen’s fiancée.
Suitability: The Cake is suitable for mature audiences who can handle its themes, explicit language, sexual references and implied nudity.
Information: If you have questions or a conflict on the audition date, please contact director Jennifer Gimzewski at 503-983-3592 or email@example.com.