What: Open auditions for Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella — With music by Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II. New Book by Douglas Carter Beane. Original Book by Oscar Hammerstein II. Directed by Karen McCarty.
When: 1 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 21.
Where: Pentacle Theatre lobby, 324 52nd Ave. NW, off Highway 22 about 6 miles west of downtown Salem.
Casting: Numerous ensemble and character roles for actors age 8 and up and actors in principal roles age 18 and up. Pentacle Theatre encourages actors of all ages, genders, ethnicities and abilities to participate in its productions. For a list of parts, please scroll down this post.
Things to know:
- Lobby doors open at 12:30 p.m. Open auditions for all roles begin promptly at 1 p.m. and may run as late as 5 p.m.
- Plan to arrive early to fill out an audition form. We encourage you to download a copy at org/auditions and complete it in advance. Please write clearly, especially your contact information. Headshots and resumes are not required, but always appreciated.
- We encourage parents of minor children who are auditioning to download and read our guidelines concerning minors at Pentacle Theatre.
- Please bring your calendar and provide a complete list of your conflicts through Jan. 5.
- Please prepare a song from a Broadway musical other than Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella that best showcases your vocal range and fits the style of character you are interested in auditioning for. Limit your selection to 1 minute — about 32 bars.
- An accompanist will be available, or you may provide your own. Please bring sheet music for the accompanist.
- Using a CD or smartphone recording of your accompaniment is OK. A CD player and Bluetooth speaker will be provided.
- Absolutely no A Cappella singing will be allowed.
- Please dress comfortably and be ready to learn and perform a short dance.
Callbacks: 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 22, at the Pentacle Theatre rehearsal studio, downstairs at 145 Liberty St. N.E. in downtown Salem.
Rehearsals: Generally, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays beginning Oct. 1, at Pentacle Theatre’s rehearsal studio in downtown Salem. The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed.
Rehearsals will be scheduled to make the best use of everyone’s time, especially for kids in school. Only actors needed for scheduled scenes will be required at rehearsals, and we’ll release the kids first and as early as possible. We understand your kiddos are in school and that’s a priority. As we get further into rehearsals, we’ll need everybody there so we can run the whole show. If you have questions or concerns about rehearsals, please contact director Karen McCarty, below.
NOTE: Cast members may be required to make special appearances for marketing purposes in the weeks before the show opens.
Show dates: Friday, Jan. 3 – Sunday, Jan. 5, onstage at The Historic Elsinore Theatre in downtown Salem.
About the show: Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella is Pentacle Theatre’s annual fundraiser production, sponsored in part by the Paul C. and Robin E. Bower Family Trust.
Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella is the new Broadway adaptation of the classic musical. This contemporary take on the classic tale features Rodgers & Hammerstein’s most beloved songs, including “In My Own Little Corner,” “Impossible/It’s Possible” and “Ten Minutes Ago,” alongside a hilarious and romantic libretto by Tony Award nominee Douglas Carter Beane, with new characters and surprising twists.
Originally presented on television in 1957 starring Julie Andrews, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella was twice remade, first in 1965 for Lesley Ann Warren and then again in 1997 featuring Brandy and Whitney Houston.
The original Broadway production opened in 2013 and starred Laura Osnes, Santino Fontana, Victoria Clark and Harriet Harris. — rnh.com
Casting Call: Casting actors of all abilities, genders and ethnicities for the following roles.
Principals: 1 woman, 1 man.
- Ella — Soprano, B3-Eb5
- Prince Topher — Baritone, C#3-A4
Featured: 4 women, 3 men.
- Madame — Mezzo, C4-D5
- Sebastian — Tenor, C3-F4
- Marie — Soprano, A3-Ab5
- Gabrielle — Soprano, C4-G5
- Charlotte — Mezzo (belt) B3-F5
- Jean-Michel — Baritone, C3-G4
- Lord Pinkleton — Tenor, D3-A4
Ensemble: Large singing-dancing ensemble including Knights, Townspeople, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Court, Giant, Servants, etc. Vocal ranges vary by character.
Information: If you have questions or a conflict on the audition date, please contact director Karen McCarty at email@example.com or call 503-851-6785.