What: Open auditions for Mothers and Sons, a drama by Terrence McNally. Directed by Jo Dodge.
When: 1 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 10.
Where: Pentacle Theatre, 324 52nd Ave. NW, off Highway 22. About 6 miles west of downtown Salem, Oregon
Casting: One adult female, two adult males, one young male. For a full list of roles, genders and ages, please scroll down this post.
Things to know:
- Doors open at 12:30 p.m. and open auditions for all roles begin promptly at 1 p.m.
- Plan to arrive early to fill out an audition form. We encourage you to download a copy on Pentacle’s website and complete it in advance. Please write clearly, especially your contact information. Headshots and resumes are not required, but always appreciated.
- Bring your calendar and provide a complete list of your conflicts through Nov. 9. If you have a conflict on the audition date, please contact the director, below.
Callbacks: TBA if needed.
Rehearsals: Generally, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays beginning August 10 at Pentacle Theatre’s rehearsal studio in downtown Salem. The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed. Rehearsals will be scheduled to make the best use of everyone’s time, especially for actors in school. Only actors needed for scheduled scenes will be required at rehearsals, and we’ll release actors as early as possible. As we get farther into rehearsals, we’ll need everybody there so we can run the whole show. If you have questions or concerns about rehearsals, please contact the director, below.
Show dates: Friday, Oct. 18- Saturday, Nov. 9.
Cast members may be required to make special appearances for marketing purposes in the weeks before the show opens.
About the show: At turns both funny and powerful, Mothers and Sons portrays a woman who pays an unexpected visit to the New York apartment of her late son’s partner, who is now married to another man and has a young son. Challenged to face how society has changed around her, generations collide as she revisits the past and begins to see the life her son might have led. — Dramatists Play Service
Casting call: Four actors able to play the following roles, ages:
- Katherine Gerard (late 60s) — She has never recovered from losing her only child, Andre, to AIDS 20 years ago, when he was living with his partner, Cal.
- Cal Porter (40s) —After losing his first partner, Andre, to the complications of AIDS two decades ago, Cal married Will, 15 years his junior, and together they have a young son.
- Will Ogden (mid-20s) — Cal’s husband.
- Bud Ogden-Porter (pre-teen) – Will and Cal’s young son.
Suitability: Mothers and Sons is a drama suitable for teenage and older audiences who can handle its adult themes.
Sponsored by: Mothers and Sons is made possible by support from the Paul C. and Robin E. Bower Family Trust.
Information: If you have questions or a conflict on the audition date, please contact director Jo Dodge.