[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Oct 26, 2018
Contact: Lisa Joyce, 503-485-4300 firstname.lastname@example.org
What: Open auditions for The Producers — book by Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan; music and lyrics by Mel Brooks. Directed by Robert Salberg.
When: 2 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 8.
Where: Pentacle Theatre, 324 52nd Ave. NW, off Highway 22. About 6 miles west of downtown Salem, Oregon.
Casting: Six principal actors, plus numerous ensemble/chorus parts for women and men. For a full list of parts, vocal ranges and age ranges, please see below.
Things to know:
- Open auditions for all roles begin promptly at 2 p.m. and may run as late as 5 p.m.
- Doors open at 1:30 p.m. Plan to arrive early to fill out an audition form. We encourage you to download a copy at PentacleTheatre.org/auditions and complete it in advance. Please write clearly, especially your contact information. Headshots and resumes are not required, but always appreciated.
- Please bring your calendar and provide a complete list of your conflicts through March 23, 2019.
- Please prepare a song from a Broadway musical other than The Producers that best showcases your vocal range and fits the style of character you are interested in auditioning for. Limit your selection to 1 minute, or about 32 bars.
- An accompanist will be available, or you may provide your own. Please bring sheet music for the accompanist.
- Using a CD or smartphone recording of your accompaniment is OK.
- Absolutely no A Cappella singing will be allowed.
- Please dress comfortably and be ready to move and dance.
Callbacks: If needed. Time and location to be announced.
Rehearsals: Generally, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays at Pentacle Theatre’s rehearsal studio in downtown Salem. The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed.
Show dates: Friday, March 1 – Saturday March 23, 2019.
About the show: “Bialystock and Bloom! Those names should strike terror and hysteria in anyone familiar with Mel Brooks’ classic cult comedy film. Now as a big Broadway musical, The Producers once again sets the standard for modern, outrageous, in-your-face humor. It is a truly “boffo” hit, winning a record 12 Tony Awards and wowing capacity crowds night after night.
“The plot is simple: a down-on-his-luck Broadway producer and his mild-mannered accountant come up with a scheme to produce the most notorious flop in history, thereby bilking their backers (all ‘little old ladies’) out of millions of dollars. Only one thing goes awry: the show is a smash hit! The antics of Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom as they maneuver their way fecklessly through finding a show (the gloriously offensive ‘Springtime for Hitler’), hiring a director, raising the money and finally going to prison for their misdeeds is a lesson in broad comic construction. At the core of the insanely funny adventure is a poignant emotional journey of two very different men who become friends.
“With a truly hysterical book co-written by Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan (Annie) and music and lyrics by Mr. Brooks, The Producers skewers Broadway traditions and takes no prisoners as it proudly proclaims itself an ‘equal opportunity offender!’” — Musical Theatre International.
Cast of Characters: Six actors able to play the following ages and roles, plus numerous ensemble/chorus roles for men and women.
- Max Bialystock — age 40 to 55. The consummate con man. Naturally animated and bombastic, he is never at a loss for charm and manners. Typically conspires with Leo. Vocal range top: F#4 – bottom: A2.
- Leo Bloom — age 35-45. An accountant. Boring and mousy, he is a hesitant optimist who longs for something more. Dragged into a scheme by Max. Vocal range top: F4 – bottom: A2.
- Franz Liebkind — age 35 to 55. German loyalist playwright. From his lederhosen to his pigeon, Adolph, his love for the motherland is unmistakable. He is imposing yet tender. Vocal range top: G4 – bottom: F2.
- Roger DeBris — age 50-60. New York’s most famous and flamboyant stage director. Surrounds himself with deliciously beautiful clothing, people, and possessions. In a crowd, it would be impossible to miss him. Vocal range top: G4 – bottom: G#2.
- Carmen Ghia — age 25-35. Roger Debris’ faithful assistant. Carmen is severe in looks and passion for Roger. He may appear younger than he actually is thanks to skilled surgeons. Vocal range top: A4 – bottom: C3.
- Ulla Inga Hansen Benson Yonsen Tallen-Hallen Svaden-Svanson — age 20-30. A young and hopeful actress. Though her beauty might eclipse her talent, Ulla is passionate about life and art. Quite a clueless seductress in some ways. Vocal range top: G5 – bottom: A3.
- Ensemble of men and women — Accountants, Bavarian Peasants, Convicts, First Nighters, Little Old Ladies, Storm Troopers, Chorus Girls, Girl Prisoners, Usherettes. Vocal range: Ab3-F5.
For more information: If you have questions or a conflict on the audition date, please email director Robert Salberg or call him at 971-208-2799.
# # #