What: Open auditions for Disney’s The Little Mermaid — book by Doug Wright, music by Alan Menken & lyrics by Howard Ashman and Glenn Slater. Directed by Karen McCarty.
When: 1 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 8.
Where: Pentacle Theatre lobby, 324 52nd Ave. NW, off Highway 22 about 6 miles west of downtown Salem.
Casting: Numerous ensemble roles for actors age 8 and up and actors in principal roles age 18 and up. Pentacle Theatre encourages actors of all ages, genders, ethnicities and abilities to participate in its productions. For a list of parts, genders and age ranges, please scroll down this post.
Things to know:
- Lobby doors open at 12:30 p.m. Open auditions for all roles begin promptly at 1 p.m. and may run as late as 5 p.m.
- Plan to arrive early to fill out an audition form. We encourage you to download a copy at pentacletheatre.org/auditions and complete it in advance. Please write clearly, especially your contact information. Headshots and resumes are not required, but always appreciated.
- We encourage parents of minor children who are auditioning to download read our guidelines concerning minors at Pentacle Theatre.
- Please bring your calendar and provide a complete list of your conflicts through Jan. 6.
- Please prepare a song from a Broadway musical other than The Little Mermaid that best showcases your vocal range and fits the style of character you are interested in auditioning for. Limit your selection to 1 minute — about 32 bars.
- An accompanist will be available, or you may provide your own. Please bring sheet music for the accompanist.
- Using a CD or smartphone recording of your accompaniment is OK.
- Absolutely no A Cappella singing will be allowed.
- Please dress comfortably and be ready to learn and perform a short dance.
Callbacks: 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 9, at the Pentacle Theatre rehearsal studio, downstairs at 145 Liberty St. N.E. in downtown Salem.
Rehearsals: 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays beginning Sept. 17, at Pentacle Theatre’s rehearsal studio in downtown Salem. The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed.
Rehearsals will be scheduled to make the best use of everyone’s time, especially kids in school. Only actors needed for scheduled scenes will be required at rehearsals, and we’ll release the kids first and as early as possible. We understand your kiddos are in school and that’s a priority. As we get further into rehearsals we’ll need everybody there, so we can run the whole show. If you have questions or concerns about rehearsals, please contact director Karen McCarty, contact information below.
Cast members may be required to make special appearances for marketing purposes in the weeks before the show opens.
Show dates: Friday, Jan. 4, through Sunday, Jan. 6, onstage at Elsinore Theatre in downtown Salem.
About the show: In a magical kingdom beneath the sea, the beautiful young mermaid, Ariel, longs to leave her ocean home to live in the world above.
Based on one of Hans Christian Andersen’s most beloved stories and the classic animated film, Disney’s The Little Mermaid is a hauntingly beautiful love story for the ages. With music by eight-time Academy Award winner Alan Menken, lyrics by Howard Ashman and Glenn Slater and a compelling book by Doug Wright, this fishy fable will capture your heart with its irresistible songs, including “Under the Sea,” “Kiss the Girl” and “Part of Your World.”
Ariel, King Triton’s youngest daughter, wishes to pursue the human Prince Eric in the world above, bargaining with the evil sea witch, Ursula, to trade her tail for legs. But the bargain is not what it seems, and Ariel needs the help of her colorful friends, Flounder the fish, Scuttle the seagull and Sebastian the crab to restore order under the sea. — Musical Theatre International.
Cast of Characters: Casting actors of all abilities, genders and ethnicities for the following roles.
Ensemble/Chorus — Numerous ensemble/chorus roles for actors age 8 and up.
Princesses and Mersisters — Numerous roles for actors age 15-29.
Principal singing roles:
- Ariel – age 18+, Mezzo-soprano.
- Eric – age 18+, Tenor.
- Sebastian – Tenor.
- Scuttle – Tenor.
- Flounder – Tenor.
- King Triton – Baritone.
- Ursula – Low alto or Contralto.
- Flotsam and Jetsam – Altos or tenors.
- Chef Louis – Tenor.
Information: If you have questions or a conflict on the audition date, please contact director Karen McCarty at email@example.com or call 503-851-6785.