What: Open auditions for DRACULA, written by Steven Dietz, from the novel by Bram Stoker. Directed by David Ballantyne.
When: 1 p.m., Saturday, July 14.
Where: Pentacle Theatre, 324 52nd Ave. NW, off Highway 22, About 6 miles west of downtown Salem, Oregon
Casting: Six males, four females, flexible casting. For a full list of parts, genders and ages, see below.
Auditions: Actors will read from the script, copies of which are available on loan at the Pentacle Theatre Business Office, 145 Liberty St. NE in downtown Salem for a $10 refundable deposit. Call 503-485-4300 to arrange for pickup.
No accent preparation is required for auditions.
Please bring a list of calendar conflicts through Oct. 20. If you have a conflict on the audition date, please contact the director, below.
Callbacks: July 17, if needed. Time and location to be announced.
Rehearsals: Generally, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays at Pentacle Theatre’s rehearsal studio in downtown Salem. The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed.
Show dates: Friday, Sept. 28, through Saturday, Oct. 20.
About the show: “I want your fear. For your fear, like a current, rushes through your body. Your fear makes your heart pound, it renders your veins rich and full. Your fear hemorrhages deliciously within you.”—Dracula.
This new adaptation restores the suspense and seduction of Bram Stoker’s classic novel to the stage. As Count Dracula begins to exert his will upon the residents of London, they try to piece together the clues of his appearances—in a valiant attempt to save themselves from a hideous fate. Rich with both humor and horror, this play paints a wickedly theatrical picture of Stoker’s famous vampire.
—Source: Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
From the production team: This production of Dracula aims to combine music, sound, practical effects, visual effects, lighting, blood, beautiful costumes and striking characters into a massive adventure. We need you to help realize our vision!
- The director may cast two actors as Dracula: one younger and one older.
- Some roles may require specific movement choreography, depending on the characters and the actors cast in those roles
- Scenes in this production will move fluidly from one to another. Each cast member will participate in set changes and providing atmospheric and sound effects that drive the action forward.
Cast of Characters: Six males and four females able to play the following ages and roles. Casting is flexible, and the director may double-cast certain roles.
- Renfield: 30-60—A former solicitor, manipulated and used by Dracula. Could look gaunt from imprisonment. A man on the mental edge, compelled to eat bugs.
- Mina: 20-35—Our intrepid detective: A smart, reserved, cautious woman. Mina is the purest of all characters making her the most exquisite of targets for corruption. Close friend of Lucy. Fiancé of Harker.
- Lucy: 20-30—Lucy loves life and yearns to live it with wild abandon and plenty. Her biggest problem is having three suitors. Corrupted by Dracula, she changes from a coy, aristocratic socialite into a wanton vampire.
- Harker: 20-35—A young solicitor hired by Dracula to facilitate his arrival in England. Harker travels to Transylvania, is imprisoned and tortured by Dracula but escapes. Fiancé of Mina.
- Seward: 29—A young doctor at Carfax Lunatic Asylum, in love with Lucy and resistant of the more supernatural possibilities.
- Dracula as younger: Late 20s-late 30s—The younger undead vampire and main character.
- Dracula as older: Late 50s-late 70s—The older undead vampire.
- Van Helsing: 40s-early 70s—A doctor who is an authority of the mystic and occult. An intellectual Victorian and a superhero of sorts.
- Vixen 1: 20s-30s—Female vampire.
- Vixen 2: 20s-30s—Female vampire.
- Waiters, attendants, maids: Various ages—Males, females.
For more information: If you have questions or a conflict on the audition date, please email director David Ballantyne or call him at 503‑798‑8473.