Open auditions for Exit Laughing March 25 at Pentacle Theatre’s downtown Salem rehearsal studio
What: Open auditions for Exit Laughing, a comedy by Paul Elliott, directed by Karen McCarty.
When: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday, March 25.
Where: Pentacle Theatre’s downtown rehearsal space, 197 Liberty St. SE, Salem OR 97301.
Casting: Actors able to play four female and one male characters.
Things to know:
- Rehearsal studio doors open at 12:30 p.m. Open auditions for all roles begin promptly at 1 p.m. and may run as late as 5 p.m.
- Free all-day parking is available in the Liberty Square Parkade, 365 Ferry Street SE, close to the rehearsal studio. Free on-street parking in downtown Salem is limited to 3 hours once per day per block in the downtown area, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
- Plan to arrive early to fill out an audition form. We encourage you download a fillable form at PentacleTheatre.org/auditions and complete it in advance. Please write clearly, especially your contact information. Headshots and resumes are not required, but always appreciated.
- Bring your calendar and provide a complete list of your conflicts from March 27–July 1. If you have a conflict on the audition date, please contact the director, below.
- All actors will audition by reading selected scenes from the script.
- Male actors should come prepared to perform a 30-second exotic dance representing the stripper. Music will be provided.
- Pentacle Theatre affirms, promotes and celebrates the participation of all, without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion or socioeconomic status.
Callbacks: 1 p.m.–5 p.m., Sunday, March 26, if needed.
Rehearsals: Generally, 6:30 p.m.–9:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays starting March 27 at Pentacle Theatre’s downtown rehearsal space, 197 Liberty St. SE.
- The director will set weekend rehearsals and work sessions as needed.
- Rehearsals will be scheduled to make the best use of everyone’s time. Only actors needed for scheduled scenes will be called for rehearsals, and we’ll release actors as early as possible. As we get further into rehearsals, we’ll need everybody there so we can run the whole show.
- If you have questions or concerns about rehearsals, please contact the director, below.
- Cast members may be required to make special appearances for marketing purposes in the weeks before the show opens.
Show dates: Friday, June 9 – Saturday, July 1. Exit Laughing is suitable for mature audiences ages 13+.
About the show: When the biggest highlight in your life for the past 30 years has been your weekly bridge night out with the “girls,” what do you do when one of your foursome inconveniently dies? If you’re Connie, Leona and Millie, three Southern ladies from Birmingham, you “borrow” the ashes from the funeral home for one last card game, and the wildest most exciting night of your lives involves a police raid, a stripper and a whole new way of looking at all the fun you can have when you’re truly living. (Dramatic Publishing)
Casting call: Open casting for actors of all abilities, genders, races and ethnicities able to play the following roles:
- Rachel Ann, age 21 — A young woman who seems to have issues with life and men until bridge night opens her eyes.
- Connie Harland, age 55 — Rachel’s mother, who discovers on this fateful bridge night that life doesn’t end at 55.
- Leona age 50+ — One of Connie’s closest friends and a member of the bridge club for over 30 years. A woman who’s a beautician by profession and a rather caustic lush by preference.
- Millie, age 50+ — Another of Connie’s friends and a longstanding member of the bridge club. A woman who moves to the beat of her own special drummer, even though she’s the only one who can hear him.
- Policeman/Bobby, age 23 — A young man of many talents, and they all come to “bare” on the ladies’ bridge night.=
Pentacle Theatre affirms, promotes and celebrates the participation of all, without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion or socioeconomic status.
Information: Contact director Karen McCarty at email@example.com or call/text 503-851-6785.
# # #